Friday, May 27, 2011

Trad On The Prom

Back in January during orientation week our API group was given an itinerary for the semester laying out our trips, cultural events, etc. At the time, the last event on the schedule seemed years away. All of the sudden, much like the rest of the semester, our last group activity has come and gone.


The last hurrah set up for me and the 30+ other API students was a night of "Trad on the Prom" or, in real English, traditional Irish music, song, and dance on the promenade. It took place last night at the Salthill Hotel in a banquet hall looking over Galway Bay. A bus picked all of us up from out apartment complexes and took us to the hotel about a 15 minute drive away. Thank goodness for that bus; Ireland has decided to send us off the way she welcomed us in...with lots of rain. An hour or so walk in that would not have been a good look for my hair! Before hopping on the bus, a few girls came over to get dolled up in honor of our last real night out in Galway as tonight is going to be one of battling with our suitcases and luggage weights. We threw on dresses, did our hair, and put on some make-up for the big night. I had been looking forward to this since coming back from Italy as most of my time has been spent procrastinating packing, last minute souvenir shopping, and waiting for my flight home. I really couldn't think of a better way to spend the night than having dinner and enjoying Irish tradition with the people I've gotten to share this whole semester with.


Dinner was delicious but the show was even better. There was lots of dancing, music, and singing hosted by a funny Irishman. I really love the dancing; the dancers are so disciplined and in sync. Their feet move so quickly that I feel like I get tired watching them! But they look like they really enjoy performing which is part of why I feel like it's so fun to watch. The show was two hours and we didn't want to have our last night out cut short so we headed into town as a large group to hit the pubs. We didn't stay together for long, as trying to fit a group over 20 into one of the small Galway pubs is nearly impossible. A few girls and I went to old favorites like the Quays and the Front Door - my absolute fave! - before finally giving in and heading back to Menlo. It was a great night from dinner to the show to pubbing and I'm glad I got to spend it with API and my favorite Galway girls.








Love and last hurrahs,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment