Friday, January 28, 2011

21 - So Much Fun

So yesterday, January 27th, was my long awaited 21st birthday. I was really excited to spend it in Ireland, but kind of disappointed that I was unable to celebrate back in the US where it's such a big deal to finally be of drinking age. However, I shouldn't have been surprised that the Irish appreciate a 21st birthday just as much as any American. As one elderly cab driver put it, "The Irish are seasoned alcoholics by the time we're 21, but it doesn't mean we won't have a pint for you." So several pints were had...and shots...and Irish Car Bombs...all resulting in a great birthday, I really couldn't have asked for anything more.


On Wednesday night, I headed to a pub called The Quays (pronounced "The Keys") in downtown Galway with a bunch of friends to ring in the big day. Keeping in mind that I had class early the next morning, we kept it pretty relaxed..by Irish standards. A local band was playing at the pub, and when it turned midnight, they announced to the crowd that it was my birthday and wished me a great one. The bartender made me a special shot and random people kept coming up to me to give birthday hugs and kisses. Turning 21 in the company of fun friends and friendly strangers was a ton of fun, we had a few pints and enjoyed the band before calling it a night and gearing up for class in the morning. 
My first birthday shot.

Celebrating with the girls at The Quays

The next morning was kind of rough, the 20 or so minute walk to campus is brutal anytime before 10AM...but the sun was shining and it was my birthday, so I headed out to make the most of it. After class and going downtown in search of the perfect birthday dress, I came home to open a few cards from home and relax before the big night out. My roommates surprised me with a birthday cake, a tiara, and a customized sash so that everyone out in Galway would know that I was the birthday girl. It was so nice of them and such a cute surprise. 
A present my mom snuck in my suitcase before I left. Thanks Mom, love you.

My birthday cake!

After resting in the afternoon, my roommates and I got ready and went to town for a birthday dinner. We tried a little Italian bistro downtown called Il Folleto because meat and  potatoes just weren't going to cut it. The restaurant was small and decorated so cute, with lots of murals and kitschy little decorations. The food was really good and it was a nice time out with my roommates before the chaos of the night ensued. After dinner, we went back to our apartment to pre-game with our friends before going out for the evening. Around 11 we headed to one of our frequent hangouts, a pub called The Front Door where there's always a lot of good music and dancing. I had my first (and definitely last) Irish Car Bomb experience and got many more birthday wishes from strangers. When the pub began to get really crowded, the girls and I decided to relocate to Coyote, a Galway club/pub inspired by the movie Coyote Ugly, complete with American flags, cowboy hats, and a mechanical bull. My friends had suggested we go there with the intention that I was going to brave the bull, but fortunately for me, the mechanical bull was having some mechanical problems. It wasn't a big deal, we stayed for a while to dance and meet Irish boys, of course. When it was nearing closing time, the girls and I decided to call it a night. I was exhausted, but so glad to have spent my 21st with good friends in a great place. This may be the only time that I will ever be lucky enough to spend my birthday in another country, and I'm glad I made the most of it. However, I'm still looking forward to margaritas at Border, scorpion bowls at Kowloon, and a big make-up celebration with friends and family when I get home!

The girls before we headed out.

This is what I meet every night girls!

Roommates outside The Front Door

So much fun

Love and happy birthday's,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment