Thursday, January 13, 2011

Putting the "Study" In Study Abroad

This past Monday marked the beginning of the Spring semester at the National University of Ireland...kind of. Armed and ready with a pen, a notebook, a watch, a map, and the essential rain gear, I made the 20 or so minute walk to the university a couple hours before my first class was scheduled to begin. My roommates and I alloted this extra time so we could find where our classes were being held in advance. Walking around, I couldn't help but notice not only how small the school is in comparison to UMass, but also how beautiful it is in comparison. (not that I don't love the Zoo, but it isn't the prettiest campus I've ever seen). Just look at where I get to be educated for the next four months:
The entrance to the quadrangle

The student union and college bar


The outside of the quadrangle

Welcome to NUI Galway

The River Corrib that runs through campus

UMass goes to Ireland

The campus is beautiful, with buildings reflecting different architectural trends and ages. The classes I am taking are mainly in one huge structure that somehow comprises three different buildings. Walking through that area, I kind of feel like I am in a high school as there are lockers lining the maze-like hallways and waves of students walking about between classes. There is also a coffee and tea cafe in nearly every building, an ode to the importance of having "a tea and a chat" often while living an Irish lifestyle. Speaking of which, I was surprised at how much Gaelic I have heard and seen around campus. While English is inarguably the dominant language here in Ireland, Gaelic is definitely also common. I have even picked up a few phrases, such as "dia duit (hello)," "is mise Haley (my name is Haley)," "is as America dom (I am from America)," and "slainte (cheers)" Gaelic can be seen written throughout campus and the city as an ode to the original language of the Emerald Isle.






For international students, the university has us "shop around," attending classes we think we may be interested in for the first week before we officially register for them. I think I have all my classes figured out; I am taking two English classes towards my major, an American history course, two Irish studies courses, and one that I am particularly excited about: a service-learning project for visiting students in which I will volunteer at a "homework club" for an hour every week, helping Irish children with improving their reading skills. Not only is that what I want to do as my career, but I will also be able to immerse myself in the culture and get to know more people. I am taking six classes because that is what will transfer back to UMass as a full semester's worth. Classes only last about 12 weeks, until April 2nd, and then final evaluations take place via paper or exam. Unlike at home, final evaluations here are solely what your grade is based on, which is a lot of pressure but I only have papers to do for my classes and I will be apprised of the topics by the end of February, so I will have plenty time to work on them. 


Once I get into the swing of how the university works, I'm sure everything will fall into place. However, this "shopping week" I am currently experiencing is not what I am used to. Being the organizational Nazi that I am, I am a bit distraught to find that my school for this semester is a complete free for all. On paper, classes began at 8AM Monday morning, but, in reality, classes start next week, or the one after that, or whenever. I have gone to classes in which professors have handed out a a syllabus and wished the class a good day, and classes where there has been no professor at all. I have been informed by natives that the Irish have no regard for "timetables" and that work is not necessarily always a priority. Even though this is a strange concept, I hope I can learn to appreciate it because my impression is that the people of Ireland tend to have a more relaxed and laid-back quality of life than most people at home. They really take the time to sit back and enjoy the day, rather than rush through it trying to do so many things in so little time - a habit that I think I can surely get into.


Love and tea and a chat,
Haley

1 comment: