Monday, January 10, 2011

The City of Galway

Yesterday, my roommates and I had our first free day since we arrived and we decided to spend it exploring the city. We had been there before with our entire program for our welcome dinner but hadn't been able to see much of the sights on our own. So the four of us braved the temperamental Ireland weather and walked into town. The streets of the city center are lined with shops, pubs, and art - a sight within themselves.







After we had roamed the streets, listening to performers and going in some of the different shops, we went to a market that is put on by Saint Nicholas' Cathedral every Saturday afternoon. There, vendors were selling art, clothes, street food, baked goods, and locally grown produce. As we walked around, locals immediately recognized that my friends and I were American and asked us where we were from, why we were visiting, and  encouraged us to try samples of their products. They were very welcoming and wished us a great trip. Over the past couple of days, I have noticed that the Irish are very quick to recognize myself and friends as Americans before we even open our mouths. And I wonder why that is, because I really don't think we look or dress much differently than the Irish do.


A vendor station at the market.

Fresh produce



After the market, we made our way down to Galway Bay, part of the River Corrib on the northeast side of the city. Along the bay is the Spanish Arch, a famous landmark in Galway.


Me, Caitrin, Shannah, and Alyssa

The Spanish Arch

Trying to pet the swans



After walking in the cold, rainy streets, we decided to try an exercise in Irish culture and stop for an afternoon tea. Right by the bay was a tea shop, that featured fancy china and a menu of traditional Irish appetizers, light meals, and desserts. We ordered a pot of tea and varied sweets that were fabulous!




When we were done with our afternoon tea, we decided it was time to head back to our apartment and rest before heading out for our first night on the town, which was also a ton of fun. I really enjoy Galway; the people, the sights, and the atmosphere are amazing. The past few days since I have been here have felt like a vacation, but tomorrow is the first day of classes and I feel like a freshman about to brave a big new school without any clue where I am going. However, I am confident that if I can navigate UMass, I can navigate any school. Hopefully those aren't famous last words!

Love and great craic (Gaelic for "fun"),
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment