Monday, January 17, 2011

Getting Into the Swing of Things

I have been in Ireland for about two weeks now, and I am surprised to find how quickly I have settled in and become comfortable in my new city. The long walks to school, the city center, the grocery store - basically anywhere - are becoming less inconvenient and more habitual, with the exciting possibility of a new discovery every time I leave my apartment. I have been spending the majority of my time with my roommates and it has been a lot of fun, going "pubbing" (pub and club hopping), laughing at our fixer upper, having afternoon tea, and adjusting to the quirks of Irish life together. 





Over the past few days, I have gotten to know my way around the essentials of Galway, which isn't too big of a city and very accessible by foot. I am appreciating all of the exercise as well as the cool things I find...

Galway's Latin Quarter featuring the Spanish Arch where Christopher Columbus prayed.


A Tribute to Oscar Wilde




Saint Nicholas' Cathedral


While I have plans for doing lots of adventuring outside of Galway in the very near future, I was happy to have spent my first two weeks enjoying the sights, social scene, and people here. On any given night there is something fun happening, pubs are always packed to the brim, the university puts on different shows/activities, or my roommates are awesome to stay in and hang around with. It's like going to school back at home, lounging around with roommates, walking to class in the rain, and watching Sunday night football (yes, I did find a pub that had the Patriots on - so great!), except in a new place with a lot of exciting potential. This upcoming weekend, the program I am on is taking us to County Clare, where will will see castles, fishing villages, and the Cliffs of Moher, which, words cannot describe how excited I am to be able to go to. All I am hoping for is that the weather cooperates so I can take beautiful pictures, or else I may just have to go back! 


Love and new places,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment