Monday, January 17, 2011

Do You Live Near Jersey Shore Country?

...That was the question I was asked, in all seriousness, by an Irish boy a couple of nights ago. While his adorable accent kept me from sarcastically replying "Is that a joke?" I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I told him that I lived a five or six hour drive from the shore, but that I had never been there. This response prompted several other questions regarding American's and their GTL habits, the most hilarious of which was "Don't you want to come to the club and fist pump?" I politely declined, however, sometimes it just happens...


Since I have arrived in Galway, I have met (obviously) many Irish people. Even before I open my mouth, they know I am an American and seem really eager to ask me all sorts of questions regarding politics, relationship status, education, alcohol...you name it, they will probably ask about it. I really like getting to know the natives and hearing what they think about Americans and our way of life - it is surprising how much they know about the United States' government, economics, and society. However, I have been disappointed to find out that the majority of Irish people around my age think that Americans are of one breed - Jersey Shore. When I am under the impression that an Irish guy or girl thinks that I am going to be just like Snooki, I do my best to assure them that Jersey Shore is "not real life." Now, it would be a lie if I said I don't like the show or enjoy having a tan just as much as the next guidette, however, I do think that the cast is a poor, poor reflection of young Americans, and something that I should actively work to change while I am abroad. I think it is important that young Americans are seen as educated, respectful individuals rather than the fist-pumping, alcohol binging party animals they are represented by on television. There is more to us than good tans, silly dance moves, and the never-ending desire to have a great time. 


Love and real life,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment