Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Goals That Are Not Written Down Are Just Wishes"

Since I have arrived in Ireland, my program director, Fionnghuala (a.k.a Finn), has been encouraging each of us to make a list of our top ten goals that we want to accomplish during our time abroad. She believes that making such a list will give us some direction, a budget, and a sense of pride as each item gets crossed off the list. Finn also encouraged us to make goals that are outside of our usual habits or character, so that we will be challenged and have an even greater feeling of accomplishment when we step outside our comfort zones and fulfill our goals. I have been debating for about two weeks regarding what my ten goals were and I think I finally have them finalized. I have decided to post them on a public forum for two reasons: 1) So that they will be permanently published and I will be consistently reminded of them and 2) So that I will be forced to accomplish them so I will be able to avoid questions of "Why did you never              ?" when I get home. So my top ten goals to accomplish while abroad are:


1) Have fun!
2) Join a club or society that I would never normally participate in at home.
3) Kiss the Blarney Stone.
4) Travel somewhere on my own.
5) Get in better shape. 
6) Go to Italy and have an "Eat, Pray, Love"-esque experience.
7) Have a fleeting fling with an Irishman. 
8) Volunteer in some manner within the local community.
9) Do well in my classes.
10) Keep up my blog so I will be able to remember everything after this experience is over.


So...those are my top ten goals. I'll be sure to update the progress I am making on them as it happens! And now for some parting words of motivation from the wonderful Mark Twain:


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."


Love and goal-hunting,
Haley

3 comments:

  1. Don't kiss the Blarney Stone! Sheesh didn't we tell you what happens to the bstone?!? Blow kisses lady! Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the pictures, you sure are enjoying. Don't kiss the Blarney Stone unless you use sanitizer! Have fun, be safe.
    Love
    Auntie Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will just blow kisses, don't worry guys!

    ReplyDelete