Friday, January 7, 2011

You're Very Welcome

I made it! I am in Ireland, currently writing this post from my apartment in Galway.





The flight was long and uneventful, I slept and watched television, thrilled that they had Keeping Up with the Kardashians and Sex and the City, two of my favorites. We arrived in Galway around 9:00 AM and went through customs fairly easily. My group was greeted by the program director, who told us that we were to wait in the terminal until the other part of the group arrived on an 11:30 flight. So we slept on benches and grabbed some breakfast until it was time to load up the bus and travel to our apartments in Galway. The bus ride from the airport in Shannon to our destination took a little over an hour. I fell right asleep because jet lag was in full swing at that point. However, I did wake up a few times and happened to see the scenery as we drove through the countrysides. The only way to describe it is exactly how one would imagine Ireland: long, green fields and rolling hills. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I didn't take any pictures because my camera was in my suitcase somewhere and I was too tired to dig it out, but I am sure there will be plenty more opportunities to see all the different landscapes of the country throughout my stay.


In the past 48 hours, I have arrived at my apartment, met all but one of my roommates, experienced the Irish version of Walmart, had orientation at the university, eaten in a bar (yes, a bar) on campus, gone to Galway city, drank my first pint in a pub, and gotten lost more than once going from here to there. Jet lag is still a nuisance and I am really tired, but I just wanted to share what I have been most impressed with thus far (and by thus far, I mean the like five minutes I have been here): the people. Each time I have chatted with a native, they have all told me one common thing: "you're very welcome." And I don't mean just the people who are obligated to do so, such as the program directors or university faculty, I also mean taxi drivers, grocery clerks, and fellow students. Every person has been so welcoming, giving me and other visiting students "a million well wishes" during our stay here in Galway in hopes that we have "great crack" - Irish-speak for "a good time" and encouraging us to "see how we get on," or try out, all different aspects of the culture. I am completely surprised and humbled by how kind the people of Ireland are. I didn't expect them to be unwelcoming necessarily, but they really go out of their way to let visitors know that their visit is welcomed. Right now I am tired, chilly, and a bit overwhelmed with this new place, but I am positive that such a kind reception is going to make the adjustment to living in a new country happen quickly and easily.


Love and warm welcomes,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment